Thursday, February 17, 2011

Beamtime, Moving, Races, and Social Activism

It's been crazy busy recently.  I had beamtime over the weekend at the APS in Chicago.  It was very productive but tiring as usual.  I stayed up all night sunday night so I slept in then started moving my stuf yesterday.  I am hopefully moving for the last time on Long Island.  Yay!

I've registered for two races since I posted last: the Bike New York and the Montauk Century.  I'm so excited!  And when I came back to the department, Alex was pumped up about the Super Randonneur.  The ride series comes from the French randonee, to ramble.  A ride of that magnitude (200km, 300km, 400km, and 600km in a year) seems like anything but a leisurely ramble.  But we're going to at least try to do it.  If you complete the entire series in a year, you get a medal (oooohhhh) and are qualified to ride in this race in Paris that is the longest running bike race in the world (120 years).  I say race, because there's not a better word, but it's only timed in that you must complete the distance within a certain limit to officially "finish."

With all the recent attacks on women's rights by politicians, we've been itching to do something.  Something other than signing petitions that is.  And something fell into our laps--there's a rally in the city on February 26th, Stand Up for Women's Health.  I've never been to a social justice-type rally (I'm not counting the pro-life rally I attended as a child as I had not yet formed independent political opinions and I remember wanting to hang out with my 'friends' and I'm pretty sure my parents didn't want me to go).  Anyway, going to a political-type rally is even on my bucket list.  It will be the first thing I mark off since I made the list back in November!

No comments:

Post a Comment